personal finance

DWP update: June rule change could impact benefits & free NHS care – take action

The DWP is responsible for overseeing a number of key benefits and payments including the State PensionUniversal Credit and PIP. The rule change is scheduled to take place in June, and so people living in the UK have a limited time to act on the matter. It concerns what is known as the EU Settlement Scheme, which is now coming into force following the UK’s exit from the European Union.

Pre-settled status is for those who have not lived in the UK for five years in a row.

But these people must have started living in the UK by December 31, 2020, unless applying as the existing close family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who started living in the UK by then.

Individuals can stay in the UK for a further five years from the date they unlock pre-settled status.

They must then apply for settled status before this pre-settled status expires in order to remain in the UK.

If a person has settled or pre-settled status it will mean a lot for their life in the UK.

Individuals will be able to work in the UK, as well as enrol in education or study.

But of particular note, they will also be able to access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if they are eligible for them.

Settled or pre-settled status also permits people to use the NHS for free, if they can at the moment.

However, the Government has explained the rights of these individuals further to give additional clarification.

Read More   UK jobless rate falls again as employers hire ahead of Brexit

Its website states: “You’ll have different rights if you get settled or pre-settled status because you’ve applied to join your EU, EEA or Swiss family member and you arrived in the UK after December 31, 2020.

“For example, you will not be able to bring your own family members under the EU Settlement scheme.”

To apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, a person will need certain documents and information to supply to the Government.

These include proof of identity and residence in the UK, unless a person has a valid permanent residence document or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK.

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens must provide a valid passport or valid national identity card, and a digital photo or their face.

Non-EU, EEA or Swiss citizens must provide one of the following:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid biometric residence permit
  • A valid biometric residence card


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.