The FBI has reportedly asked Apple to help unlock two iPhones
that may have belonged to Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, the suspected gunman in a shooting at a Florida Navy base last month that left three people dead. In a letter sent Monday to Apple’s general counsel, the FBI said it has court permission to search the phones but investigators have so far been unable to guess the passcodes, according to NBC News. Both iPhones are reportedly passcode protected.
Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment but told NBC News it works cooperatively with law enforcement.
“When the FBI requested information from us relating to this case a month ago, we gave them all of the data in our possession,” Apple said in a statement to NBC News.
The FBI declined to comment.