THE great British picnic is enjoying a revival – one of the first treats we can look forward to as lockdown eases.
From Monday, outdoor fun need not be with just your own household, or one friend. You will be able to meet in groups of up to six, from different homes, if you stay two metres apart.
So here are tips for how to picnic on a budget . . .
- Towel tip: Don’t splash out £17.60 on the John Lewis Meadow Spot picnic rug, dig out a few old beach towels — easy to carry and wash. Or if you do not have any to hand, get the tartan rug from B&M for £5.
- Lotta bottle: Keep hold of old plastic drink bottles, rinse and refill with squash. This should keep the kids happy, and your wallet. It also means you do not need to carry lots of cups. Pop the filled bottles into the freezer the night before and they will stay cool for longer and also help to chill the food in your bag.
- Nice one, old fruit: Chop up some lemon and lime, freeze overnight, then put a few slices into drinks and sandwich bags to keep everything cool. Create ice-packs by filling sandwich bags with water, zipping up and freezing overnight.
Snack attack: It is not a picnic without sausage rolls. At tesco.com packs of 20 mini sausage rolls and 30 pork cocktail sausages are normally £2 each. But now, for £3, you can snap up one of each or two of either.
Consider buying bulk bags of frozen snacks and cooking, cooling and storing in plastic tubs for the picnic — cheaper than buying ready-made.
Dips can be knocked up yourself, too. A pot of cottage cheese and dried herbs equals a tasty cream-cheese treat that is a fraction of the cost of pre-made. If pushed for time, Aldi does a lovely hummus for 69p a pot.
- Lunchtime hacks: To avoid food going to waste, make up boxes for each family member, according to what they like. Kids will love having their own stash. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, apples and multi-pack crisps are all good staples.
- Wet wipes: Make sure everything gets a wipe-down before, during and after your feast. You can get 80 of Superdrug’s own-brand anti-bacterial wipes for £3.09 — cheaper than 70 Dettol wipes for £3.50 at wilko.com.
- Cheers: Make some of the savings above and you will have cash left for Lidl’s summer wine selection, from £5.49 a bottle.
Deal of the day
SIT back in style with a modern hanging egg chair from Aldi.
You can pre-order yours on Monday for £149.99.
See aldi.co.uk to place your order.
M&S has launched a low-fat ice cream.
The Madagascan vanilla ice cream is just 62 calories per portion and costs £3 a tub – making your treat a little sweeter.
INSTEAD of paying £27 in the sale for this pair of Ted Baker swim shorts, M&S have these shorts for £12.50.
That’s a bargain.
Shop and save
SAVE 50 per cent on L’Oreal Paris Men Expert Skincare goods at superdrug.com, such as Hydra Energetic Moisturiser, now £5.28, from £10.59.
Giselle’s little helper
A NEW fitness channel is coming to Virgin Media TV. Get Moving will launch at 6.30am on Monday.
It will air from Monday to Friday to give viewers specialist fitness sessions provided by celebrity personal trainers and Olympians including Daley Thompson.
The channel will be available to all Virgin Media TV customers at no extra cost.
My Sun Savers fiver
TERRY WATERHOUSE, of Salford, Gtr Manchester, says: “ I just used £30 of Sun Savers fivers to pay my road tax.”
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Please include your name and town.
Hot right now
SAVE up to 50 per cent on shadow box photo frames online at hobbycraft.co.uk.
Play now to win £15,000 on the The Sun Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in The Sun Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect.
So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app.
Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member?
Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
Fancy a free fiver?
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone.
Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.