MOTORISTS fork out an average of £317.20 a year on car maintenance – and winter is when the chill really sets in.
Costs rise as temperatures fall but here are some hot tips to drive down your seasonal expenses.
- ICE IDEA: Never pour hot water on a frozen windscreen, as it could crack the glass.
De-icer is around £2 from Halfords but save by making your own. Mix three parts vinegar to one part cold water and spray on your windscreen the night before to stop ice forming. A bottle of vinegar is 45p at Sainsbury’s.
- SCREEN SAVER: Screenwash prevents the water in the washer pot freezing. Petrol stations’ screenwash can be pricey — Shell’s is £5.28 for one litre. Instead, try the supermarket. Prestone Extreme Screenwash is £3.50 for two litres at Tesco.
SAVE: £7.06 on two litres
- TYRED AND TESTED: With ice on roads, it’s more important than ever to check your tyres have enough tread. A winter check-up can be around £20 at some garages. Instead get a free winter car service at Kwik-fit or Halfords to discover what you need.
SAVE: Up to £20
- STEAM-FREE: Cars easily fog up in the cold but according to the AA, shaving cream has many of the same ingredients found in defoggers. So swap K2 Car Fox Anti Fog, £5.75, from Amazon for shaving foam, 95p, Superdrug.
Smear on screen or windows and wipe off before setting off.
- APPY DRIVING: Visiting family and friends can clock up extra miles. So get the best deal at the pumps with petrolprices.com. One local station had unleaded at £1.21 a litre, but Petrolprices showed it at £1.19 at a local Asda.
SAVE: Up to 2p per litre, depending on location
How do I enter?
Entering The Sun Raffle is simple, just follow these three easy steps:
- Pick up The Sun newspaper.
- Join Sun Savers – download the app or sign up at sunsavers.co.uk.
- Opt in to The Sun Raffle and enter your code printed daily inside the paper.
Every code entered equals one Raffle ticket. The more codes you enter, the more tickets you’ll earn and the more chance you will have of winning!
ASDA’S own-brand Chocolate Balls split-pot yoghurt is almost half the price of the Muller Corner Vanilla Chocolate Balls.
READER’S SAVING TIP
SUSAN SMITH from Chorley, Lancs, says: “Make sandwiches for your lunch all at once then freeze them. It saves time in the morning and they will have defrosted by the time you are ready to eat them.”
Send your tip to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used.
Please remember to include your name and town.
Shop & save
THERE’S up to 70 per cent off Quiz Clothing – with this silver bodycon dress, down from £29.99 to £19.99. But be quick – offer ends today.
Hot right now
REFRESH your make-up bag with 40 per cent off W7 cosmetics at its checkout online.
Deal of the day
GET two 2D movie tickets at Vue from Wowcher for £9.49, usually £30. Offer ends December 23.
INDULGE in your favourite chocs at Tesco, with a tub of Celebrations, £2 down from £3. Offer ends tomorrow.
My Sun Savers Fiver
DUNCAN MacLEOD from Bellshill, Lanarkshire, says: “I save up my Fivers then donate them to the Cats Protection charity.”
- Send us your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Win £5,000 for Christmas
HAVE a Christmas to remember thanks to our latest sensational Sun Savers competition.
We’re giving THREE lucky readers £5,000 each towards their festive expenses.
Bag our prize and you won’t need to worry about all the presents, the big food shop or any decorations you want to put up.
To enter, download the Sun Savers app or sign up at sunsavers.co.uk.
Then collect TEN Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed daily in the paper until Tuesday, December 11. Today’s code is on Page 16.
Enter the codes on the Sun Savers app or website. After your tenth code, head back to the “Win Christmas” page found in the “Offers” section and click “Enter” there.
Make sure you enter before midnight on Monday, December 17 when the competition closes.
Sun Savers is our fantastic rewards club which gives all readers the chance to take advantage of FREE cash, treats and prizes.
If you’re not already a Sun Savers member then sign up today and get involved.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.