For Immediate Release: Friday, July 23, 2021
Senior Planet Montgomery, a technology training program designed for County learners 50 and older, is offering free online classes that focus on how to thrive at home. Classes, which are offered live via video conference, enhance a wide variety of life skills. Classes July 26-30 will include Wearables and Voice Assistants.
In addition to classes in English, one class during July 26-30 will be delivered in Mandarin. A variety of exercise classes also will be offered.
During the winter and spring program quarters, more than 3,000 participants joined 142 virtual programs hosted by Senior Planet Montgomery. This summer, classes will cover how to use and host on Zoom, online basics, popular social media sites, lowering one’s utility bill, financial security and civic engagement.
The program is supported by the County’s Department of Technology Services’ ultraMontgomery program in partnership with nonprofit OATS (Older Adults Technology Services). The County’s Department of Recreation and Montgomery County Public Libraries also are partners in helping provide the classes at no charge to participants.
Sessions concentrate on user-friendly tools and resources and are designed to enable older adults to learn to utilize technologies to improve their daily lives. Senior Planet Montgomery utilizes curricula created by OATS, which also provides training staff and works with numerous County departments to identify topics of interest for Montgomery residents. OATS sponsors similar Senior Planet programming in six states. The County’s Department of Environmental Protection contributes to the program’s course offerings by producing sessions on how to lower energy costs.
Classes change on a weekly basis. A home internet connection and a device (such as a smartphone, tablet or computer) are all that is required to participate.
Classes to be offered week of July 26-30 will include:
- Wearables: Tuesday, July 27, 11 a.m.– noon. Lecture will cover the health, wellness and personal safety benefits of wearable technology, from fitness trackers to smart glasses.
- Smart Devices, Smart Homes Program Series: Tuesdays and Thursdays, July 27-Aug. 24, 1-2 p.m. Learn more about smart devices and how they can be used in a home.
- Online Bill Pay: Tuesday, July 27, 3-4 p.m. Learn how to set up an online account with a utility company and explore its many advantages, including automatic bill pay and paying with a credit card or from a bank account. Learn how to better understand a bill using the color charts and graphs.
- Voice Assistants: Thursday, July 29, 11 a.m. – noon. Amazon’s Alexa and the Google Home can do everything from playing music to ordering your Uber, from giving news briefs to turning on the lights. Learn about the many devices, current uses, and future implications of this exciting technology.
- Smart Devices, Smart Homes: Thursday, July 29, 1-2 p.m. Learn more about smart devices and how they can be used in a home.
- Fitness Apps: Thursday, June 29, 4-5 p.m. Lecture covers many different types of fitness apps. Discuss apps that can help track nutrition and activity, plan your workouts, stay motivated and get better sleep. Learn about the benefits of fitness apps and popular apps in each category.
Class in Mandarin:
- 網購科技問答小棧 (三), 7/28, Noon-1:00 p.m. EST. 這科技小棧可給您學習網購的機會。歡迎您來加入 Senior Planet 培訓師一起開放討論這個題材
English Translation for Class in Mandarin:
- Online Shopping Tech Talk: 7/28, Noon-1 p.m. – This tech talk is an opportunity for you to learn about Online Shopping. Join our Senior Planet trainers who will lead an open discussion on the topic.
For more information about Senior Planet Montgomery and to view its virtual program offerings, visit https://seniorplanet.org/Montgomery. The team can be contacted at 240-753-0676 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To sign up for the Senior Planet Montgomery newsletter, which includes detailed information about upcoming classes, go to https://seniorplanet.org/get-involved/newsletters/.
# # #
Release ID: 21-576
Media Contact: Neil H. Greenberger 240-205-1915