When to visit your GP

Regardless of the cause, if you have symptoms associated with prostate cancer, you should visit your GP, warns the NHS.

“There’s no single, definitive test for prostate cancer. Your GP will discuss the pros and cons of the various tests with you to try to avoid unnecessary anxiety,” explained the health body.

Your doctor is likely to:

  • Ask for a urine sample to check for infection
  • Take a blood sample to test your level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) – called PSA testing

Examine your prostate by inserting a gloved finger into your bottom – called digital rectal examination

Your GP will assess your risk of having prostate cancer based on a number of factors, including your PSA levels and the results of your prostate examination, as well as your age, family history and ethnic group.


READ  Boris Johnson announces the start of coronavirus clinical trials in Britain


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here