security

Secure entrances, air conditioning part of $20M bond for Leslie schools – MLive.com


LESLIE, MI – A $20-million bond proposal would help Leslie Public Schools upgrade its facilities and add air conditioning to its buildings, enhance security and purchase buses if passed by voters in November.

The bond proposal, which is on the Nov. 2 ballot in Ingham and Jackson counties, would levy a 3-mill net increase – or $3 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation – to taxpayers. For a home with a market value of $100,000, the increase would equate to about $150 per year or $12.50 per month.

If passed, the bond would help Leslie Public Schools construct new secure entries to control visitor traffic, upgrade mechanical systems and add air conditioning at each of the district’s buildings.

After voters turned down a similar proposal by just 19 votes in August 2020, Superintendent Scott Powers said the fact remains that the district’s buildings are in need of a facelift.

At Woodworth Elementary School, bond funds would be used to remodel some classrooms that haven’t been updated since they were built in the 1950s, Powers said.

“Those are upgrades as far as desks, flooring, cabinetry, windows and fire suppression systems,” Power said.

Remodeling the entries and offices would allow administrators to restrict and control access during school hours, routing all visitors directly through the office, Powers said.

“You walk in the first set of doors, then you can get into the office, but you can’t get into the school building yet,” Powers said. “You’d have to get processed through the office which is, which is a lot nicer.”

The bond also would help the district construct a new auxiliary gym at the high school, as well as purchase three school buses.

The new gym would give the district more space to conduct practices when there is inclement weather while also giving athletic teams more options for practice space, Powers said.

“When everybody’s trying to jockey for that gym time it just pushes practices later and later,” Powers said. “So, that extra space would be able to allow people to get better gym time sooner, and not having practices way into the evening.”

If approved, 80% of the bond funds would need to be spent within three years, with the remaining 20% in in the next two years, through 2026.

Broken down by building, here’s a look at how the district intends to spend the $20 million bond funds:

Woodworth Elementary School ($4.16 million)

• Remodel administration office to accommodate new secure entry

• Remodel classrooms with new finishes, flooring, casework

• Upgrade mechanical system with new ventilators, adding A/C throughout the building

• Electrical system upgrades, including LED lighting

• New building fire alarm system

• Purchase new computers, laptops, projectors, and other instructional technology

• Upgrade technology infrastructure

Leslie Middle School ($5.69 million)

• Upgrade mechanical system with new ventilators, adding A/C throughout the building

• Replace gym roof

• Electrical system upgrades, including LED lighting

• Purchase new computers, laptops, projectors, and other instructional technology

• Upgrade technology infrastructure

• New main entry canopy/remodel administration offices to include new secure entry

• New storage building

• Purchase three new buses

Leslie High School $9.29 million

• New secure entry addition to control visitor traffic

• New auxiliary gym addition

• Remodel locker room and equipment storage room

• Upgrade mechanical system with new ventilators, adding A/C throughout the building • Electrical system upgrades, including LED lighting

• Purchase new computers, laptops, projectors, and other instructional technology

• Upgrade technology infrastructure

• New shingled roof

READ MORE:

Sinking fund would refresh technology, roofs for Columbia School District

New $12M pool gives Jackson Public Schools a ‘world class’ facility for teaching, competition

Fire causing power outage moves Lumen Christi to remote learning



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.