Team Leader: Electoral Security Assessment
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
In Liberia, SI supports IBI to implement the USAID-funded Liberia Data, Evaluation, Learning and Technical Assistance (DELTA) with the goal to provide an innovative degree of analytical and advisory services to USAID/Liberia’s Office of Program and Project Development (PPD) and Development Objective (DO) teams in support of the Mission’s project design, performance monitoring and evaluation, and operational learning and adapting
USAID/Liberia has engaged DELTA to conduct an electoral security assessment (ESA) in Liberia. The main areas of analysis of the USAID Electoral Security Framework are:
- Contextual Analysis – Map key electoral conflict risk factors found in the security, political, economic, social, and public administrative sectors.
- Historical Conflict Analysis – Identify the factors and incidents of conflict during past electoral cycles.
- Stakeholder Analysis – Map key state and non-state stakeholders related to electoral security
The 2022 ESA seeks to analyze the specific factors and risks related to electoral security issues as well as to plan and program for preventing, managing or mediating these potential conflicts. Therefore, the report should consider the following:
- Historical and contextual background that shapes electoral conflict risk
- Identify vulnerabilities and risks to electoral security throughout the electoral cycle
- Assess the preparedness of electoral stakeholders to provide effective electoral security
- Recommend strategic approaches to electoral conflict mitigation and enhanced electoral security
The 2022 ESA will create a focal point for whole of mission planning and programming during the 2023 electoral cycle. USAID/Liberia and the broader U.S. Embassy constitute the primary audience. Assessment team members will include staff from USAID/Liberia, USAID/Washington, and State/INL. A UNDP representative will participate depending on availability.
The estimated start date will be June 6, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The estimated LOE will be 55 days.
Candidates are reviewed on a rolling basis, early submission is recommended.
SI is seeking a Team Leader who will be responsible for the overall management of the assessment team’s effort. Under the technical leadership of the DELTA DCOP, the Team Leader will be working alongside team members from USAID and INL. The Team Leader will consult with and facilitate input from all team members throughout the duration of the assessment, including during the desk study, planning materials, data collection materials, fieldwork, briefings, and report writing.
- Desk Review report
- Fieldwork plan with draft list of participants for key informant and group interviews
- Data collection instruments
- In-person interviews, focus group consultations, structured observations, and similar exercises to collect and process information about electoral security
- Briefings at the beginning and end of the field work
- Draft and final report
- The Team Leader will oversee and lead on major assessment activities, including the assessment design, methodology development of instruments, data collection, synthesis of data and formulation of conclusions, and preparation of final report with team contributions.
- Provide leadership for the team and coordinate activities as necessary.
- Coordinate with USAID/Washington, USAID/Liberia, and State/INL.
- Oversee the teamwork plan and ensure all team members are contributing expertise and technical inputs.
- Perform desk review, identify additional information required for analysis, and write desk review report.
- Ensure that logistics and fieldwork plan are developed, consulting with team members at the beginning and key intervals of the assessment.
- Schedule and interview key stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- Coordinate team’s ongoing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the Inbrief and Outbrief to USAID/Liberia and other stakeholders as requested.
- Write the draft Assessment report with support from the team members, taking into consideration feedback from the Outbrief presentation.
- Respond to USAID comments on the draft report and prepare a final report.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
- Minimum of five years of experience in designing, implementing, managing and/or evaluating electoral programs.
- Must have experience conducting assessments with mixed-methods data.
- Strong background in development/humanitarian assistance programs related to electoral security context and/or conducting electoral security-related analytical work.
- A Master’s degree in political science, conflict studies, research, or a related field.
- Experience in preparing persuasive, well-written technical reports and making verbal presentations, explaining issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience facilitating and providing leadership in collaborative and participatory research with multiple stakeholders.
- Prior experience applying the USAID Electoral Security Framework is strongly recommended.
- Familiarity with a ‘Do No Harm’ (or conflict sensitivity) framework is preferred.
- Experience in West Africa is preferred.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
How to apply
Please apply to:https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=1&rid=4093