personal finance

Who can claim Universal Credit? You may be eligible to get help each month

The payment is intended to help with one’s living costs, and it may be possible to claim it if a person is on a low income or is out of work. Universal Credit will replace Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Working Tax Credit. Should a person currently be receiving any of these legacy benefits, then they cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time. Who is eligible for Universal Credit payments?

A person may be able to get it if they are on a low income or out of work, and they and their partner have £16,000 or less in savings between them.

The claimant must also live in the UK.

They must be aged 18 or older, however there are some exceptions if a person is 16 or 17.

Additionally, a person or their partner must be under state pension age.

Should a person live with their partner, then the partner’s income and savings will be taken into account – even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit.

If a person is 16 or 17, they can make a new Universal Credit claim if any of a number of circumstances apply.

These are:

  • A person has limited capability for work or they have medical evidence and are waiting for a Work Capability Assessment
  • They are caring for a severely disabled person
  • They are responsible for a child
  • They are in a couple which has responsibility for at least one child and their partner is eligible for Universal Credit
  • They are pregnant and it’s 11 weeks or less before the expected week of childbirth
  • They have had a child in the last 15 weeks
  • They do not have parental support – such as the individual is estranged from their parents and they are not under local authority care

If a person is in training or studying full-time, then, should certain situations apply, they can make a new Universal Credit claim.

This may be that they live with their partner who is eligible for Universal Credit, or they’re responsible for a child, either as a single person or in a couple.

Another instance is if they’re disabled and entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have limited capability for work.

If a person is in “non-advanced education” such as studying for A-levels or a BTEC National Diploma, aged 21 or under, and does not have parental support, then they can also make a claim.

Should one person in a couple have reached state pension age and the other be eligible for Universal Credit, then the pair can claim Universal Credit as a couple.

However, when both people reach state pension age, the Universal Credit claim will stop.

At this point, they may be able to apply for Pension Credit or other benefits as a couple.

READ MORE: Universal Credit: Could you boost savings with tax-free £1,200? Who is eligible for bonus?


Leave a Reply