personal finance

HMRC responds as worker on incorrect tax code told it can't be fixed until May

A frustrated worker has queried over why they will be put on an in the coming financial year.

A man contacted the tax authority on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, as they are on an incorrect code for the 2024/2025 financial year. They asked: “I’ve been told it will be corrected once I have a P60, but that is likely to be issued once the 2024/25 tax year has started, so will I be using the wrong tax code for April and possibly May before it gets corrected?”

The customer support team asked the man why he believed he was on a wrong tax code for the 2024/2025 year.

They replied to say they were sure it was incorrect and said: “I spoke to someone on the phone yesterday who confirmed this, they said a P60 is required to correct it, but this won’t be issued until the next financial year has started?”

HMRC said in response: “You’d need to take heed of the advice given on the helpline then I’m afraid as the adviser has access to your details and the advice given is correct.”

The man asked why there would be a delay in getting the issue fixed and if this means he would use the wrong tax code to start with.

A spokesperson for HMRC said: “Until HMRC receive information that reconciles with what you’re stating, this will be the case I’m afraid.”

A tax code appears on a person’s payslip and indicates how much tax they pay through the PAYE system.

A person’s tax code may change if their circumstances change such as taking up a new job.

The most common tax code is 1257L, which shows a person is on the standard rate for the Personal Allowance, which is £12,570.

This code will apply to most people who have just one job, with no unpaid tax or taxable benefits.

HMRC may put a person on an emergency tax code if they did not send in new details about their income after a change in circumstances.

Guidance on the Government website states: “Emergency tax codes are temporary. HMRC will usually update your tax code when you or your employer give them your correct details.

“If your change in circumstances means you have not paid the right amount of tax, you’ll stay on the emergency tax code until you’ve paid the correct tax for the year.”

For the latest personal finance news, follow us on Twitter at @ExpressMoney_.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.