BOSTON – Concluding a season-opening three-game road trip, the Boston University men’s basketball team will visit defending MEAC champion Howard Tuesday night with tip-off slated for 7:30 p.m.
The contest is part of a doubleheader at Burr Gymnasium with the Howard women hosting Duquesne at 5:30 p.m., creating the possibility for the nightcap to start a little late.
Both the Terriers and Bison are matching up as part of the Scarlet Knight Classic. BU fell at Rutgers this past Friday and will end the event on Thursday (Nov. 16) by hosting Bryant at Case Gym. Howard will visit Rutgers on Saturday (Nov. 18) and then Bryant next Monday (Nov. 20).
- BU’s season-opening three-game road trip is the longest away from home to start a season since the 2014-15 campaign when the Terriers started at TD Garden against Northeastern and then embarked on three true road games. BU last opened a season with three straight true road games back in 1975-76 at Maine, Rhode Island and Maryland, coincidentally a close neighbor of Howard.
- The Terriers led Northeastern a week ago at the half, 34-31, before ultimately coming up short, 67-58. They then led Big 10 member Rutgers for nearly eight minutes during the first half and were only down at the half, 28-21. The Scarlet Knights though pulled away for the 69-45 decision.
- Following the graduation of 10 Terriers, four of BU’s five top scorers are newcomers with freshman Matai Baptiste leading at 9.5 ppg, while classmate Kyrone Alexander is second at 8.5 ppg.
- Alexander is also second in rebounds at 4.0 rpg alongside senior captain Miles Brewster (5.5 ppg) with sophomore Nico Nobili owning a team-high 4.5 rpg.
- Brewster and Baptiste both earned five steals apiece at Rutgers to help lead the defensive effort.
- Overall, 11 Terriers are playing at least nine minutes of action through the first two games. Both senior Anthony Morales and sophomore Malcolm Chimezie have yet to take the court due to injury.
- Selected in the MEAC preseason poll to repeat as champion, the Bison went 22-13 last year with a 12-2 home mark highlighted by non-conference wins over James Madison and Mount St. Mary’s.
- This year after earning 69-61 exhibition win over Patriot League member American, Howard earned a 92-80 victory against Hampton before falling short at Georgia Tech (88-85) and James Madison (107-86).
- 6-foot-4 guard Bryce Harris leads Howard at 18.3 ppg with 5.3 rpg, while 6-foot-2 guard Marcus Dockery is second at 16.3 ppg averaging three 3-pointers a game.
- 6-foot-6 forward and reigning MEAC Rookie of the Year Shy Odom is averaging 13.0 ppg, a team-high 6.3 rpg and 3.7 apg.
- Howard is averaging 87.7 ppg and 50.9 FG% while holding opponents to 91.7 ppg and 49.0 FG%.
- BU won the only meeting, 71-44, back on Dec. 29, 2012, during head coach Joe Jones‘ second season, at the UCF Holiday Tournament.
- BU will open its 14-game home slate on Thursday (Nov. 16) at 7 p.m. against Bryant.
- The teams will meet for the first time ever with the Bulldogs serving as the first of four scheduled America East opponents.